Not way back novelist Marilynne Robinson revealed an article within the New York Occasions about Biblical references in literature, which acquired me fascinated about Bible-inspired firm names and product names.
Surprisingly, there aren’t that many.
Robinson identified in her article, “Biblical allusions can recommend a level of seriousness or significance.” They’ve gravity and resonance and point out a complexity of expertise, she famous.
I consider these factors can apply additionally when Biblical allusions seem in enterprise names. Due to widespread training in non secular religion, Bible-inspired names usually draw on a nicely of familiarity. They’ve extra potential for long-term relevance and recognition than references from motion pictures, songs and different parts of common tradition.
In case you are working a secular enterprise, you would possibly need to keep away from a non secular taste. Nonetheless, as you may see in many of the examples under, Biblical references do not essentially come throughout as both sectarian or religious.
Biblically derived names fall into these classes:
1. Characters from the Bible. For instance:
* Samsonite – After Samson, the Outdated Testomony’s legendary robust man.
* Lot’s Spouse Connoisseur Sea Salt – A reference to the girl married to Abraham’s nephew, who was warned to not look again as they fled the fireplace and brimstone of Sodom and Gomorrah. She did, although, and was was a pillar of salt.
* Bezalel Cash – Within the Ebook of Exodus, Bezalel was a grasp artisan chosen to craft the Ark of the Covenant and different sacred objects.
2. Phrases, phrases or ideas from the Bible, particularly from the Ebook of Proverbs, but in addition from different elements of the Bible.
* Iron Males – A two-man development firm in Michigan named for Proverbs 27:17, “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens one other.”
* Apples of Gold – An internet jewellery firm that explicitly notes a reference to Proverbs 25:11, “A phrase fitly spoken is like apples of gold, in settings of silver.”
* Forbidden Fruit – A retailer in Austin, Texas that sells (ahem) grownup toys, named after the scene within the Backyard of Eden the place naughty Eve persuades Adam to eat fruit from the Tree of Data, which God forbade them to devour.
three. Chapter or verse numbers. This type of Biblical reference stunned me, as most individuals cannot cite chapter and verse by reminiscence for acquainted Bible passages. Nonetheless, when defined, these allusions have resonance.
* Health 9:27 – A private coaching firm whose identify factors to I Corinthians 9:27: “I beat my physique and make it my slave in order that after I’ve preached to others, I actually won’t be disqualified for the prize.”
* Thirty-One – A direct gross sales firm providing purses, tote baggage and organizational merchandise, whose mission of celebrating, encouraging and rewarding ladies parallels the evocation of the Girl of Valor in Proverbs 31.
In North America, Biblical references – particularly these from the Outdated Testomony – are inclined to have an ecumenical taste and do not essentially establish you with a selected faith. Nonetheless, internationally which may be much less true.
Whereas discussing firm names with a person meaning to arrange headquarters in Dubai with an organization identify in English, I requested him about utilizing the identify Solomon to evoke knowledge. “No, that might be perceived as Jewish. Islam has the identical determine however refers to him as Suleiman.” And naturally, in India or Indonesia, King Solomon might not evoke any associations in any respect.